Wednesday, September 5, 2012

52 Weeks




 52 Weeks:

Well, well, here we are at 52 weeks and Alice's birthday is on Friday! It would be an understatement to say that it has been an amazing year, but boy has it ever been. I am so glad that I managed to keep up with this project and am happy to report that although some of the posts went up a few days late due to vacations or conflict, all the photos were taken on her weekly birthday without exception. Fun fact about the Wednesdays of 2012: I would guesstimate that 70-80% of them were near complete rainouts. I never would have noticed if I were not cursing the lighting, but it is very interesting that there was a particular day of the week where the weather was crappier than others (and I would have thought it was Monday- 'A case of the Mondays' Har, har). I now have the very great task of laying all these posts out into what will become her baby book and then binding it, which I am cynically assuming will not be complete until next September... at least.
This week Alice has really been looking at things. She has always been (sometimes alarmingly) observant for her age, but recently her focus has been quite keen and standardized down to two specifications only. She will look at something and classify it as object of structure or otherwise (food, cat, etc) and then consider whether or not she can climb it. Everything else is just details. Her climbing is out-of-control-fearless-child too, so I am really on my toes-as if I weren't all consumed with things Alice. It is not that she is sloppy, but she is just everywhere-and fast. She is up the bed, down the bed, over to the couch, up it and into the windowsill. If she heads into the kitchen I have 8 seconds to haul after her and spot her before she is up the cat stairs and into that windowsill to daydream out the window at the birds. And this with her only crawling! I'm really in for it when she starts walking, but sitting is no better. She has figured out how to latch her feet into her highchair, hoist herself up and twist her hips out of the harness (product testing...?) so she is out and onto the table top. Perhaps it is from sheer determination rather than lack of highchair safety standards, because she can do anything she puts her mind to. And I am not saying that in an, "Aww, isn't my child special!" kind of way. I am saying that in regards to the way she moved a 35 lb table and 10 lb chair earlier today because they were in her way when she was trying to crawl to the cat stairs. I watched, eyebrows aloft, while she shoved, grunted, yelled and succeeded with moving those two units, not only apart but 4 feet across the kitchen. She's not a big baby, but she is certainly compact, which can be deceptive I guess. World: consider this your warning from the person who knows Alice best; don't underestimate this beautiful blue-eyed girl. She's already completely on top of the situation, of her own accord. 


Also this week:
As Alice gets taller, she begin to find things in my shelves. This is her finding my old school calculator and it is her favorite new toy. We had lunch and she told me she would split the bill and calculate what I owed. 

 And this is her coming to the mathematical conclusion that I owe her 80085. (You may have to be a middle school boy to get this joke, but if you type it in to a calculator it looks like BOOBS only in numbers rather than letters.) 


Another chapter in, "What's This, and Can I Stand On It....?" 

Quick. 

What's this, 15 seconds of stillness? Yep. My lunch break. 

This is kind of a big thing around here. I unwisely taught Alice to roar like a lion. We play this game where I ask her what a certain animal says and she will make the noise, which is really cute and a great game to play when you are trying to occupy your kid as you walk around the city, only Alice has really gotten into lion roars. And she does them all the time. Unprompted. So now I am finding myself explaining to random strangers exactly what is going on when they coo over her and Alice roars in response. But, greatness should be celebrated, however bizarre and sometimes awkward. She recognizes lions in all forms: photographic, illustrated, puppeted, Leggo-iezed, etc. Quite the feat. 

Tim and I very seriously address the arrangement of our space regularly. He the dreamer and I the logic, eventually coming up with a wonderful solution together (why did we not think of this before?!) and this past weekend was the great rearrange of 2012. Only it ended up being the slow rearrange, probably concluding in 2013 because holy crap moving things together takes a long time when you have a curious one getting into odd spots. But between Alice and the cats, I can't tell you who was more excited by the moving energy! Wheeeeeeeeee!

Oh, and this. Alice isn't easily startled. She also likes the blender. Go figure. 


 You may have been asking yourself what Pablo has been up to during this year. He has been spilling in and out of the cat door.....


.... and laying on rocks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment